student opportunity: join a live reading of the play volpone

Adam Smith is looking for performers to help him stage an informal dramatic reading of Ben Jonson’s 1606 play, Volpone, which is to be studied by first year students this semester.

volpone

“This bawdy, provocative and frankly vicious play follows the Machiavellian Volpone and his parasitic side-kick Mosca as they con and connive their way through renaissance Venice. Filled with razor sharp wit and cutting insults, Jonson’s play is and exciting, darkly comic and haunting tale, which I hope you might consider helping me bring to life in Week 5.

The play will be studied by first-year students taking the new ‘Introduction to Literary Studies 1’ module. The play appears in Week 6, so I’m looking to stage this reading in Week 5.

volpone-by-ben-jonson

A dramatic reading would just see a few volunteer performers taking a character and reading through the play, start to finish, before a student audience.

No acting, rehearsing (or even standing!) is involved, and it all takes place script in hand. You would just need to read your lines when they come up. The audience will also be following the play, script in hand.

Anyone can be a reader for this, from any programme, so if you’re interested or if you know someone else who might be, please do spread the word and get in touch.

I’d like to do two readings of the play:

• Wednesday 18 October, 12.30-3,30, DG/016
  • Thursday 19 October, 4.00-6.30, DG/016

If you are free for one or both of these dates, and you fancy being involved, please just drop me an email me at a.smith3@yorksj.ac.uk.”