New TEL Advisor

Hello!

Róisín Cassidy

I’d like to introduce myself as the newest member of the TEL team. My role as a Technology Enhanced Learning Advisor will be to support staff in using technology to enhance students’ learning. Working to the Academic Development Directorate’s annual objectives and the TEL Quality Framework, I’ll advise on effective ways to integrate learning technologies into the curriculum, where, when and how it is most appropriate for your students. I’ll also provide day-to-day support for using the University’s core learning technologies and systems – Moodle, Mahara, Turnitin, Media Library etc.

I join York St John with three years of experience in Higher Education support. I have previously worked as a liaison librarian to several schools at the University of Leeds. My main role there was to proactively liaise with schools to promote and develop the service; ensure staff and students’ information needs were met; and to enhance students’ information literacy and academic skills. Alongside providing one-to-one enquiry support, I worked with academic staff to design and deliver academic skills teaching within modules and programmes. I’ve also worked on several projects to develop and evaluate online learning resources, and provided user support for library systems, databases and the University’s virtual learning environment.

Here, I’ll be the primary contact for the Faculty of Arts and the Business School. Although you can ask anyone anything here(!), I’ll be taking a lead on supporting and promoting Turnitin and Mahara, so I’d especially love to hear from staff with examples of how they’ve successfully or creatively used either one in the past. Equally, if you have suggestions for how they could be better used at York St John, please do get in touch.

Róisín

Roisin Cassidy

Working to the Directorate’s annual objectives and the TEL Quality Framework, Róisín’s role as a TEL Advisor is to proactively support and develop staff in using technology to enhance the student learning experience. Her main focus will be to advise academic staff on effective use of learning technologies to develop innovative learning resources, processes and practices. She will also provide staff advice and development on the core TEL systems and technologies, with particular responsibility for Mahara and Turnitin. Róisín is also interested in how ‘Open Badges’ could be employed to facilitate motivation and reward in student learning and staff development at York St John. Roisin is the primary contact for colleagues in the Faculty of Arts & the Business School.

You may also like...