Senior Lecturer in Occupational Therapy (Part-Time)
How long have you worked at YSJU?
What did you do before then?
I worked at Canterbury Christ Church University. Before this my clinical career was in a range of learning disabilities and mental health settings (forensic, inpatient, community). My last post was in an assertive outreach service that managed individuals with dual diagnosis of learning disability and mental illness who had a history of offending and were difficult to engage.
What are your professional and academic interests?
- Learning Disability, autism and challenging behaviour.
- Occupation focussed practice
- Reflective practice
- OT in non-traditional settings
- The assessment of motor and process skills (AMPS)
- OT theory and models of practice – in particular the Occupational Therapy Intervention Process model (OTIPM)
- Mental capacity and deprivation of liberty safeguards
What roles and responsibilities have you held (e.g. University/ Academic/ Professional)?
- Assessment coordinator (Past)
- Assessment of Motor and Process Skills trainer
- Professional consultant for COT providing clinical supervision for learning disability OT’s
- Member of the COT national executive committee for learning disability (past)
- Best Interest assessor for Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (past)
What topics do you mainly teach on?
- Foundations of Occupational Therapy
- Health wellbeing and participation of groups and communities
What are your research interests?
I have conducted qualitative and quantitative research and enjoy both. Clinically I am interested in research around learning disability and autism. I am also interested in research around OT outcomes measures, (in particular the use of AMPS) and utilisation of OT theory in practice. I’m interested in research about emerging areas of OT practice.
Outside work, what occupations do you enjoy participating in?
I have two small children so much of my time is spent being a Mum! I volunteer for the National Childbirth trust (NCT) facilitating a new mums and babies group. I love to cook, read and cycle.