Blogging Team

Welcome to the Primary Education YSJ blogging team! The site is a joint venture between both students and staff

Will

Hi, my name is Will Bosanquet and, as I sit down to write this, I am astonished… Day one of ‘Welcome Week’ all the lecturers say to you that “soon you will be third years and applying for jobs.” Now I a third year Primary Education student; I really cannot believe how fast time has gone by.
I never aimed to be a teacher and everything in my life has been geared to acting and performing in musical theatre. However, I volunteered with the West Yorkshire Playhouse Youth Theatre as a session leader and something clicked. I enjoy my job most when it involves working with young people. After that, I volunteered and worked in a range of different primary schools as a theatre practitioner, leading sessions and that’s how I found primary. Since then I’ve come to realise (reluctantly) that the core subjects are just as important as the arts.
This year on the degree I will be studying my APF in Early Years and a subject specialism in English. Even though I am studying on the upper course, I was pleased to be given the opportunity to study about the EYFS. Through the course I have come to love working in KS1 and the EYFS, during my SE placements. I am sure this year will present more opportunities to experience a wider range of primary education settings.

Seven stories paddington bear

Hi! I’m Chris and I’m in my second year studying Primary Education at YSJ. I write for this blog to procrastinate from other university work… and develop professionally of course. I chose to come to YSJ after having a much friendlier and productive interview than anywhere else I’d been to – sky-rocketing it straight up to the top of my list. Getting to live in York is a big bonus too. I’m very pleased to say I’ve never looked back or doubted my choice to come here! My main interest lies in Science and in teaching through practical, investigative methods that get children up and active and discussing with each other. In most of my lessons I try to do something a little different or unusual to make it interesting, and I hope to occasionally share some of the weird ideas I try through this blog. Outside of uni and teaching I’m often catching up on various tv dramas or struggling to learn the piano/ukulele. Video games come in there somewhere too. If you want to get in touch my twitter is @Chris_YSJ

Amy

My name is Amy, I am a second year Primary Education student at York St John University. I enjoy going to circuit training and staying fit and healthy. I also enjoy walking my dog, family holidays and days out. I find these very relaxing! My aspirations for the future, well of course my main aspiration is to become a Primary School teacher. Other aspirations I have are to work with charities that mean a lot to me and generate awareness. I like how the campus has plenty of spaces to study and work, the spaces accommodate for all types of learners. I love how the staff are available to book tutorials if you are worried about anything or just want a chat about university life. The university also provides a well-being team which are a great comfort blanket if you ever need anyone to talk to.Twitter: @amy_dundon

Thomas Acaster - Pro Pic 1

Hi, my name is Tom, I am a second year Primary Education student at York St John University. I really enjoy gaming, which is something I find quite relaxing. I also thoroughly enjoy reading, particularly Science Fiction! I also particularly enjoy running and exercising to stay healthy! My main aspiration is to become a primary school teacher. In particular mathematics and PE are key focuses of mine, as I always struggled with them at Primary School. I’d also like to increase awareness of charities throughout school and also Additional Educational Needs (AEN). If you have any questions about York St John or student life then please comment below, it would be great to hear from you!

york Talk 1

My name is Ian Wilson. I’m the person who organises the blog and deals with the day to day running of things. I’m a Senior Lecturer here at YSJ, teaching mathematics, science and computing on the Primary Education Programme. You can contact me by following me on Twitter @iwilsonsyj or via email