Online Learning: Reflections/Top Tips From Current Students

laptop and notesAs we entered into our third national lockdown in response to the Coronavirus Pandemic at the beginning of this month, we have asked our students to share their reflections and their tips on online learning. For some students, online learning can seem alien and a challenge, whilst for others it opens up accessibility. Three York St John Literature students from different stages of their degree share their reflections and their tips on approaching online learning in these times.

Reece Dixon, MA Student

“This time is out of joint”, as Hamlet recites in Act One, Scene Five, when he is visited by his father’s ghost. This pithy remark has become an aphoristic truism in light of how we all must be feeling, not only here at YSJ, but, more generally, across the country and across the world. We feel as though the days and weeks mould into one single continuum, as our perceptions of time perhaps no longer serve us correctly – we know that Monday will eventually lead to Sunday, but without our usual occupations, days and weeks mould into desk and laptopone. The idea that we are “out of joint” with our own time speaks to a major anxiety that we are all living through, one directly informed by the current pandemic, which, in our world, has led to online teaching becoming a reality. One particularly positive aspect of this is that having sessions online means that all of us now have more time to read and study, as that time would usually be taken up by travelling to and from campus. We must remember the positives that can come out of this experience, namely the fact that we will be able to boast about this for a long time afterwards, stating that we have been the only generation of university students to endure this monumental, and that we had a tough time. Also, coffee fans like myself will surely be pleased that they won’t have to wait in a queue at either one of our on-campus coffee shops, as we now either switch on the kettle or the coffee machine and that’s that, done! So, while this time may be “out of joint”, we know that this will not last forever; we know that we will have bragging rights after; and we also know that we will come together as a university to get through this.

Take care and all the best. Remember that this will not be forever, savour the solitary musings while you can and reach out whenever you need to.

Adam Kirkbride, Level 6/3rd Year Student
Although this can be difficult some days, I always gain so much by turning my camera on in online sessions. It really helps me to stay engaged throughout a long seminar and makes me feel more present. I definitely get more out of sessions where my peers and I use cameras as opposed to those where we don’t. 
In terms of general wellbeing and balancing work-life balance, I find it useful to set one day a week aside as a dedicated rest day, where I don’t do any work unless I particularly want to. More often than not, I end up feeling so relaxed and rested that I get minor tasks done like cleaning and reading, or if I don’t, I always feel more energised the next day.

Level 5/2nd Year Student
I would say that online learning has been an extremely positive experience for me. Often laptop and feetmy mental health and other obstacles got in the way of my attendance in first year, but now if I am having an “off” day, then I can catch up later.
I find it useful to keep a strict routine, and do my recorded lectures in the allotted time. This helps to keep a sense of structure even when I’m just sat at home all day.