The Wake (2021)

An Shortfilm and catalogue document

Below is my independent ArtFilm The Wake. Written, directed, filmed and edited by myself. Staring Rosie Sykes and Jack Titherley.

The aim of the play is for the audience to travel into the spiritual realm alongside the characters. The audience is invited to their own traditional Irish wake. Leaving the parts of life behind that no longer matter. Embracing fear to experience the death of ego through the lens of cinema.

Hoping to trigger the audience into recognition that there is nothing wrong with dying. We die a million times before we truly leave the earth, there is nothing to fear. All we are is what we will always be, lovely creatures that will too begin to rot one day. The Wake, such as in Ireland is not an embellishment of loss. But rather a celebration of the blessing of life.

What is a Catalogue Document? This document marks out the manifesto of the show. With all its braiding, writing, re-writing, to document what the show is. This document can be viewed to correspond with the play to view the inner workings, meanings and representations.

Below is the PDF of the catalogue document I curated in relation to this project. It delves into my research. Meta thinking and adaptations I had to make in order to create the film.