Creating a Forum in Moodle
A Forum is an activity where students and teachers can exchange ideas by posting comments. It enables participants to have asynchronous discussions i.e. discussions that take place over an extended period of time. Forum posts can be rated by teachers or students (peer evaluation). Ratings can be aggregated to form a final grade which is recorded in the gradebook.
Forums have many uses, such as:
- A social space for students to get to know each other
- For course announcements (using a news forum with forced subscription)
- For discussing course content or reading materials
- For continuing online an issue raised previously in a face-to-face session
- For teacher-only discussions (using a hidden forum)
- A help centre where tutors and students can give advice
- A one-on-one support area for private student-teacher communications (using a forum with separate groups and with one student per group)
- For extension activities, for example ‘brain teasers’ for students to ponder and suggest solutions to
Creating a Forum in Moodle:
If you’re interested in using forums with your students, contact the TEL team firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance and advice.