York St John Outreach Hub

Bringing our university to you.

Our Campus

Founded in 1841, our campus has seen some transformations to make it the modern university you see today. Located on Lord Mayors Walk, overlooking the historic walls and iconic York Minster, York St John’s central location is an ideal spot to get around the city, whether it’s the train station, the cafes and bars, or the Theatres and art galleries. This was perfect for me when I was a  student, as walking around York is the quickest mode of transport particularly in rush hour!

University Building

My favourite place on campus is the Quad (pictured above & at the very top of this page). It’s guaranteed to be the backdrop for Dissertation submission and Graduation photos! The Quad is a tranquil and beautiful area at the heart of the campus and is valued by all of the students. The exterior displaying the similarities and feelings of Hogwarts, with original period features such as the former College Bell which was a signal call for students to attend chapel. The chapel on campus is still in use in the current period for various purposes. Our chapel caters to all religions and beliefs!

Yet, on the other side of campus, the buildings add a modern dimension, this includes the De Grey building which is home to the Business School. De Grey has acquired many applauds including the Lord Mayor’s York Design Award and the Royal Institute of British Architects award.

York St John continually invests into our campus and resources. Examples include the new creative centre which is currently being built, our on-campus Students Union which was build back in 2016 and Haxby Road sports complex just a stone’s throw away. Haxby road boasts state of the art sports facilities used for both academic and recreational purposes.

I would say the Students Union (above) is the social hub of the campus, particular on pound a pint/Karaoke night, open mic nights, pub quizzes, charity events and Sports and Societies Wednesday socials nights! Even in the day, the SU is a great place! It’s a quirky, fun, relaxed atmosphere and I have often sat in the café upstairs and met with friends for a catch up or finished university work in there if the library is too busy particular around deadline season.

York St John has a feel of heritage and tradition, but with a modern twist to keep up with the times. As cliché as it sounds, when I stepped onto campus and I saw the Quad for the first time and felt a connection whilst engaging with the university staff and students, I knew it was the campus and university for me!

Sophie – Graduate Ambassador.

Next Post

Previous Post