York St John Outreach Hub

Bringing our university to you.

Revision Tips

Whether you’re studying for GCSEs, A Levels, BTEC or a degree – revision is key. It’s striking the balance between taking in knowledge, and being able to discuss this knowledge when asked. 

In order to figure out how to best revise – I have a few questions…

So the first question is – what is expected of you? What do you need to do to be successful in the exam/coursework?

If it is something like maths or science where there is a correct answer (most of the time) – you need to revise answers to questions or revise how to work out an answer or equation. If it is something like English literature or ethics – you may be asked to create an argument and provide evidence. These are different skills, and may use different revision methods. You may study one subject that works with one revision technique, but another subject doesn’t work that way – it’s all about figuring out what works for you.

You may need to look at past exam papers to figure out exactly what is needed to be successful. Looking at exam board specifications can help you identify areas you are likely to be asked about in the exam. 

The second question is – what tools can you use? 

Are you allowed to take in notes, are you allowed a calculator, is it an open book exam? Double check ahead of time so that you aren’t relying on equipment and materials that won’t be provided in the exam. 

Even if you can take absolutely nothing in with you, that doesn’t mean you don’t have any tools at your disposal. 

There are a lot of revision experts who try to get their students to tap into their senses. Such as putting key information into a song that they can (silently) sing to themselves in an exam, using a certain colour pen for certain information so you can visualise it in an exam, chewing a certain type of chewing gum while revising, and also during the exam (if allowed) to activate those memories. This may be something you can use to help you remember key bits of information. 

The third question is – what works for you? 

There is no one way to revise. The way that one person revises may not work for you, and vice versa. That’s why it is important to take time to think about how you learn best. Do you learn best in a lecture? If so, it may be worth recording your notes verbally and listening to them back. If you are more visual, making organised notes may help you revise. 

For example, when I was at university, I used colours to differentiate the themes I would discuss in an essay. Lets say, for example, I’m writing an essay on Childhood obesity – I might write notes about the NHS, doctors and healthcare professionals in blue, I might write notes about school policies and guidance in purple, I might write notes about parental attitudes in orange, and I might write notes about government advice and guidance in red. So that in the essay, I can ensure I have a more balanced argument by including information from each of the four colours or stakeholders. I use these colours when researching, and writing so that I can easily link an article to the right  part of my work. 

This may not work for you – it may confuse you further. But it’s about identifying tools that will help you remember key bits of information, or organising your thoughts and information so it is easy to access. 

The final question therefore is – what doesn’t work for you? 

I can help you with some – no one learns best when they’re tired, hungry, stressed etc. So it’s important to look after yourself during the revision & exam period. Making sure you’re drinking plenty of water, eating healthy food, going for walks every now and again – these will all benefit your wellbeing which in turn will hopefully impact on your revision. 

You may find that distractions don’t work for you – if that’s the case. Ask someone you live with to ‘confiscate’ your phone for a set period of time – or download an app called Flora – where you grow little trees while you’re not using your phone. If you use your phone, the tree dies. It’s strangely persuasive. 

Same with noise – some people need noise, if so pop on some music or a podcast. Just be aware you’re unlikely to be allowed earphones in a test environment. Others need complete silence – think about how you can create the best environment for you to revise. This may mean waking up early to avoid revising when other people in your house are milling around, or even escaping to a local park or to the garden for a revision session. 

Your teachers or lecturers may be able to give you some useful revision tips and tricks, or may be able to talk about how they remember key information. Perhaps having a virtual study partner to test your knowledge would work for you and keep you accountable? 

The opportunities with revision are endless – it doesn’t just have to be copying out of a text book. I’ve found some good links which may be of use to you when looking for revision tips: 

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/student-life/game-changing-revision-tips-we-tweeted-you-may-have-missed 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zw8qpbk

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/info/exams-or-demon-fighting/essential-revision-tips

Hear from our team about what works for them: 

Sophie: reading out loud works when I’m trying to remember bits, flash cards too! I’m more of a bullet-point person than a spider diagram person.

Niamh: I’m also a colour-coordinator, love getting out the fancy stationary! I used to do past papers so that I covered all the topics that are likely to come up. I also had a big wall chart with all my upcoming deadlines so I could see them at a glance. 

Boawe: I pick a topic and have a really intense revision session on that area. I normally line up a number of books, journals or articles about that area, and make notes as I go. 

Nicole: Podcasts and YouTube videos that make revision informative and funny, it helps you remember better and you can revise on the go. https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse/playlists  I also find repetition really helpful, copying a mind map over and over until I didn’t forget anything, and getting friends or family to test me!

Next Post

Previous Post