York St John Outreach Hub

Bringing our university to you.

Student Ambassador Blog: Sammy

Hi, my name is Sammy and I’m in my final semester doing a part time degree in biological sciences. I moved from East Hull to York when I chose YSJ and spent the first year of uni in a student flat before buying my first home here in York. I have also worked as a student ambassador since my first year of uni which I think is the perfect student job. Its perfect for me because I get to sign up to only the shifts that I want to work, and it is well paid compared to other student jobs like bar work.

Why did you choose your course?

I chose a science course because although I knew from being in secondary school I want to teach, having a degree in science opens a lot of doors for me if I change my mind later in life. I love that I get to do some high tech science practicals on my course including one project which involved genetic engineering in bacteria. This particular project formed one of my assessments and I feel I got a better mark because I really enjoyed the work that I was doing to write my report.

Why did you choose YSJ?

I had a bit of a hard time when it came to choosing a university because my parent did not agree with my choices but I am glad that I went with the university I felt was best. York St John had a pretty campus, was close to the city centre and had new science facilities. When I visited with a friend on a decision day I knew YSJ was the place I wanted to be. The staff were really friendly and I felt like I could ask anything to the current students.

Tell us the best part about your time at YSJ. 

During my time at YSJ there have been a lot of good memories from the genetics project I spoke of above, to a sponsored stay up with the sciences society, and all the festivals in York. If I had to choose one thing that I think is best about YSJ it would be that York always has something going on with food festivals, Viking week and the residents week, as well as plenty of shops and street performers. I love that between lectures I could take the hour or two and always find something to do to give my mind a break in the city centre. I love that from the uni campus, York city centre with all of its tourist attractions is just a few minutes walk away.

What do you get up to when you’re not studying?

I’m part of the Harry Potter society and during lockdown we meet on teams every Monday for games and a chat, we also have a group chat and keep in touch during the week. It has been really nice during lockdown to still have a social once a week even if it is via teams.

Did you have any main worries before coming to uni?

Before uni I was worried about support as a disabled student and  keeping up with the work. The uni have been really supportive, letting me switch to part time after my first year of study and helping me get access to a fantastic mentor who helps me adapt when things get hard.

Any top tips for our readers? 

Even if you have no deadlines that week, always do some work towards your next one so that it is not rushed at the last minute. The more time you have, the more you can draft and redraft your assignment to get a better mark

Take a look at some of our other Student Ambassador blogs: 

Next Post

Previous Post