Tradition by Chloe Heels

Description of my piece

For my quilt piece I chose ‘A Bomber’s Moon’. I am really happy with the piece’s final outcome. For this piece I used a cotton piece of fabric as my base which I then began to paint using a few different colours of acrylic paint as well as a gold ink. I decided to focus on the second world war and tattoos as that’s what I’m working to do. For this reason I chose to include a nautical star to this piece to represent the tattoo style during the time of the war. I chose to focus on a minimal colour palette, red, green, black and gold being my colours of choice but I chose to make them darker. After painting my background which consisted of layering squares I realised that the colours I had chosen along with the way I had layered my background made it look like camouflage which I’d done unintentionally. After this I embroidered  the nautical star onto my fabric using red, black and gold embroidery thread. I used the gold to outline the star because I felt it made it look like a patch and I alternated the red and black thread to create the traditional nautical star look. 

Reflection of my pieces process

To create my piece I decided to do a quilt piece based on ‘A Bomber’s Moon’. I started by mixing the colours and painting the squares on individually layering them over when I used more colours. I struggled a bit because my material wouldn’t get fully coloured by the paint but it eventually covered. When I started to embroider the fabric I struggled because the layers of paint made it difficult to push through but I got it done. I don’t embroider so this was my first time doing so, it’s not the best quality of sewing but I’m really happy with the final outcome. When I mixed my paints I felt as though they could be a bit too dark but when they had dried they were actually the perfect colours. During the creation of this piece I particularly  aimed to keep the piece accurate to the World War 2 and tattoo theme so whilst I painted I chose the specific colours to represent the tattoo side but it came out representing both the sides which I loved. I then used the nautical star to represent both sides and I’m so happy with how the piece ended up turning out.