Three Ships from Hull: Captain Cook

Description of my piece:

The work that I have produced is a comic book. It is a 5-page comic book that includes the title page and end page. This comic book was inspired by the quilt called “Three Ships from Hull: Captain Cook 250” by Cathy Corbishley- Michel. I really loved the quilt, and it caught my eye straight away, the all blue tones is what really stood out to me. I was inspired to incorporate all blue tones into my work, which explains why the comic book is in all blue. The quilt is made with cyanotype type prints, however, my comic book is hand drawn and painted in water colours to give off that hand drawn style. Most comic books are done digitally so I wanted to stray away from that and produce something physical. The actual comic itself is a digital comic and it is aimed for younger children so that they can get involved and have fun whilst looking at different quilts. My squares are done in a post card like matter and the writing on the comic book has been done digitally, I outlined some of the paintings in biro pen and marker pen to create a focus but left the landscape paintings .

Reflection of my journey:

When looking at  all of the different quilts, I was extremely inspired. I have never been very fond of quilting or any form of textile, however, when looking at all of the quilts it felt like I was looking at artwork. They are all different in their own ways, they all have different textures and colours just like how a painting would. The “Three Ships from Hull: Captain Cook 250” by Cathy Corbishley- Michel quilt was the first one to catch my eye with all of the different tones of blue. I had so many different ideas, for example: a decorative plate all in blue showing the ships adventure around the rim of the plate. I think I made the right decision choosing my comic book idea because I felt I could really capture the adventure and aim it at the younger generation that are just starting to get into quilt making. This project made me realise that art is not just painting or drawing but it is everything we want it to be, I have been inspired to consider more textile related stuff within my work and even incorporate some sewing and quilting for my future art pieces.

One thought on “Three Ships from Hull: Captain Cook