AccommodationStudent Life

5 things to bring to university

Moving to university can be daunting, with hundreds of things running around your brain you may not think of everything that you need to bring. So, here are my top five things to bring with you to university. Some you might already have on your list, but some might spur on some more inspiration.

Storage boxes

Most university beds have an open space underneath your bed which is a great place to store items. Either your spare bedding or some towels, this helps you to neatly organise them out of the way as they won’t be needed daily (Check your accommodation page first just to double check).

Tupperware

Leading on from storage boxes Tupperware is very handy when you are looking to either save food from throwing it away, which can be eaten the next day or to meal plan. This means you don’t have to cook every night and it’s as easy as popping the lid off and putting it in the microwave, then you have yourself a quick and easy, warm meal.

Coat hangers

These aren’t provided by the accommodation and might be missed when packing, but all accommodations come with a wardrobe and some drawers. Hanging up most of your clothes will then stop you from having to iron any of them, as well as keeping things clean and tidy. P.S. A bonus tip is to not bring your whole wardrobe from home, you won’t need it and spacing is limited in accommodations!

Extension cables

With things such as chargers, lamps, laptops, hairdryers, and straighteners then an extension cable might be useful. Sometimes plugs could be far away from where you want to use things so having an extension cable will be handy. (Ensure you don’t over-plug items or place clothing items over power outlets as this could cause a fire)

Mattress Protector

As well as the rest of your bedding, adding on a mattress protector will not only stop spills from getting onto the mattress but some come with an extra layer of comfort, just so can get an even better night’s sleep (Check what size you need on your accommodation page).

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.