Student LifeStudy

Four things to know about our Lord Mayor’s campus 

Starting somewhere new can seem daunting and confusing. Where do I go for my first lecture? Where can I grab something to eat? How can I get a coffee?  So, here are a few tips that will be helpful when you come to York St John. 

Cafes, canteens and microwaves 

There are plenty of places to get food on campus, from vending machines to Costa and our canteen. However, if you are wanting to save money, you can also bring your own food to heat up in microwaves. These can be found in the library on floors one and two where you can heat up your food. You can also get just hot water from any of the cafes on campus.  

Study Space booking 

Many of the computer spaces in Fountains and Holgate are available on a walk-in basis, but you can book a space to ensure you have a space by reserving it. Spaces can be booked here. Where you can book single and group spaces and places depending on whether you need a computer or not.  

Need to borrow equipment? 

You can borrow a laptop for 3 days directly from Fountains and Holgate from the loan lockers. These however can’t be reserved in advance, but you can use the 24-hour Fountains library which has desktop computers. If you are looking to borrow an iPad, video camera or recorder. Then you can request one through the media loans system.  

My YSJ App 

You might have seen this app being promoted elsewhere, but the My YSJ app can give you access to a wide range of resources. You can report your absences for lectures and seminars, look at the campus map, view your timetable and much more. It can be downloaded through the App store and Google Play

These are only a few selected tips about campus, and you may be wondering a few other things, so feel free to ask any further questions! You can chat to our student ambassadors here.  

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.