Study

How to adapt to independent study 

For a lot of new students, adapting to university life and studying after more than a decade of traditional school-based learning can be a shock to the system. To avoid any surprises when you start university, here are some changes that you can expect when you start studying at university level.  

Find a study method that works for you 

Everyone studies differently so finding the right study method for you might take time. For example, some people like to bring a laptop to university or use a traditional notepad. After a few lectures and seminars, you will find the right method for you. 

Learn from feedback 

Feedback from your tutors and lecturers will be the easiest way to adapt your study and perfect your writing style. After each assignment, you will receive detailed feedback on what you can improve on for next time. This is a good time to see where your weaknesses are for future assignments. Lecturers will also be happy to expand on the feedback if you have any further questions.  

Access to more resources 

As a university student, you will have access to more resources whether that being online or from the library. The broad range of options can be overwhelming, and you might not know where to start when it comes to doing assignments. It is a good idea to pay attention to module reading lists as this will help you as these come directly from your tutor.  

Learn how to reference 

Referencing will play a huge part in all your university academic work. There are many ways to reference work so be sure to check when referencing style you need to follow, with the most commonly used one being Harvard.  

Learning is more self-directed 

Unlike school/college, you are now completely in charge of your deadlines and when you had in your work. It sounds daunting at first, but you will know your deadlines early on and you will be able to plan accordingly as to when you need to complete work.  

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.