AccommodationStudent Life

Living independently at university

Moving away from home can be one of the most exciting times of your life, there are lots of things to look forward to, from decorating your room to organising your studies. However, you might not realise how dependent you might be until you move. So here are a few things to help you get prepared for living independently. 

Washing and drying clothes 

Doing your own laundry might seem like a big deal at first but once you do your first few loads it will be a breeze. Most of our accommodation sites have washers and dryers on site which are available to use as an extra charge. If you want to save money and aren’t in a rush to dry your clothes you can bring an airer which you can pop up in your room to help dry your clothes. I would recommend getting some practice in before you move so you can find out how to do it, I also recommend getting colour catchers just in case a coloured sock ends up in your whites!  

Managing your money 

Living independently might be the first time you are fully in charge of your finances. You most likely will be getting a maintenance loan or any other bursaries and will have to keep in charge of what you are spending. For example, you will have set dates when your rent comes out and you will need to ensure you keep enough money to pay. So, managing your finances will be very important. For more tips, you can read out how to manage your money blog.  

Staying safe 

As important as it is, it can be easy to forget how to stay as safe as possible when you move to a new place and are living independently. We recommend staying in groups where possible and don’t walk down any unlit paths but if you have to walk somewhere alone, call a friend or call Streamline Taxi’s. They offer a pay-safe, be-safe scheme where you give them your student number and you can pay the next day if you have no cash on you. You can even download their app. 

Make friends 

For some people, the worst thing about living independently can be the loneliness. Everyone is in the same boat so don’t worry and sometimes you don’t instantly connect with others, but don’t worry it doesn’t mean it will be like that forever. Joining societies is a good way to meet people out of the usual circle of your accommodation or course.  

Always speak to someone if you are struggling 

If you are experiencing any worries about living independently, we have a designated support team who can provide advice when you become a student here at York St John. There are also external support teams such as Mind and Student Minds.  

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.