StudyWorking & Volunteering

My Graduate Internship at York St John University 

Hi, my name is Megan, and I was the Marketing and Digital Experience Graduate Intern here at York St John from October 2022 to May 2024. I originally studied here at York St John for my undergraduate degree in Media Production: Journalism. I thought I would talk about my experience as a graduate intern and give you some tips to help you if you are looking to apply for a similar role. 

How I found the job 

After finishing my degree, I wasn’t too sure what pathway I wanted to head down so I refreshed my CV with all my up to date skills from my time at university, and the work experience/internships I took part in. I also noted down the possible job roles I had an interest in, which ranged from content creation roles to marketing. After this, I also updated my LinkedIn profile and set up alerts for job roles. Since I was staying in York this also narrowed down my search, but I also looked at commutable places such as Leeds and other towns in the surrounding area.  

I found the job role through Indeed which took me to the careers page at York St John. I knew I loved my time at university and have always had positive interactions with members of staff so I thought this job would be a good fit. The job criteria also stood out to me as it was a role which would work across multiple teams within the university. I thought this would be beneficial as it would help me to see what style of job, I liked best.  

The application process was straightforward with me having to answer a few questions and talk about my experience. I spent my time on this as I didn’t want to rush the application. After this, I was invited to an in-person interview, and I was successful! 

My day to day job 

Since my job title is a Marketing and Digital Experience Graduate Intern my job is very flexible with what my day to day tasks are. I help with assisting wherever I am needed whether that being writing emails, blog posts (like this one), creating social content and much more.  

The role is primarily to help develop my skills as much as possible during the time I am here. I found this really beneficial as I feel I have developed such a wide set of skills that will be great to add to my CV. You might have also seen me featured on some social media posts such as on TikTok and Instagram. The role enabled me to get stuck into some great projects that I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of, from working at Open day events and getting to meet the students I am directly marketing to, to getting to interview our therapy dog Blue and his owner. 

My Projects 

Here are some links to a few projects I have been involved in! 

I’ve even taken part in a photoshoot or two! 

Image of a student and a dog

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.