ChitChat

ChitChat is York’s newest spoken word night led by York St John students. The open mic nights take place at YSJ Spark Community Theatre and welcome all to read work in any stage of development. Lydia caught up with Imogen, co-creater of ChitChat, to find out more

Imogen

Imogen: I’m a third year, Creative Writing student, where I write mostly poetry and script. I started GreenTeeth Press with one of my close friends last November because we wanted to create our own industry experience. We’re currently putting together our first publication!

Why ChitChat?

I: There’s not lot of opportunities for aspiring writers and poets in the north, unless you’re based in Manchester or Leeds. So, inspired by Say Owt’s slam poetry format, I wanted to create an event that incorporates all aspects of spoken word. YJS’s relationship with Spark was the perfect opportunity to start something with!

A sense of community

I: The first ChitChat was so exciting! The big fear was that nobody would turn up and it would just be me reading mediocre poetry to an empty room. But I was so pleased to see all the seats full when we started. It was also lovely working with Lydia, she’s got so many cool ideas.

ChitChat made me feel closer to the creative community, especially after meeting people that run similar nights in York. It was also a pleasure to interact with the English Literature Society at the event too.

The future

I: Organising the night has given me the confidence to go forward into other jobs in publishing and the creative industry. But most of all, it’s given me the confidence as a writer and creator to keep making things.

Watch this space, dates and theme announcement for the next ChitChat coming soon