Research Reflections 2016

Earlier this year, I attended the 2nd Research Reflections conference at York St John University, hosted on Thursday 8th September 2016 by the Academic Development Directorate.

As part of the administrative staff here at York St John, I have been highly involved in organising and running research events, but this was the first conference that I have attended where I actually had the chance to attend as a delegate. I am so used to thinking operationally at events, and making sure that everything runs to schedule (including catering delivery!) that is was refreshing to take a step back, experience the event, network with staff across the University, and listen to the vast array of research that my colleagues are undertaking.

I found it really interesting to watch presentations and performances from such a wide scope of specialist subject areas, to see the way in which people present, as well as the content that they are trying to get across; it was a valuable experience. I think that one of the opening sessions ‘Creating a Rainbow of Research’ really emphasised this diversity, and showed how passionate the YSJ community is to continue research, and support staff in getting research active within the new structure.

Carly Brind, University Research Administrator