Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Professor Stuart Billingham

Former Head of School of Linguistics and Social Sciences 

Cordukes Circle member and Legacy pledger

What is your connection to York St John?

I hadn’t heard of the College of Ripon and York St John (as the University was named) in 1998 before I applied for – and in terms of my life thereafter was lucky enough to get – the new post of Head of School of Linguistics and Social Sciences. I never looked back either personally or professionally from that day.

Do you have any stand-out memories from your time working here?

I have many marvellous memories of my eleven years at the University. Right-up there is playing a part in leading the College to the award of Taught Degree Awarding Powers and, in 2006, to achieving University title, awarded by the Privy Council.

However, my stand-out memory is a purely personal one. It is of the Vice Chancellor knocking on my office door one Friday afternoon and, having just left the Committee of Professors considering my case, entering with the unforgettable words “Good afternoon, Professor Billingham”. You see, before that moment I was simply “Dr Billingham”. I cannot recall ever being so proud or humbled at that moment – the first in my maternal family to go to university; the first in the whole of my family to become a professor.

What makes York St John special in your eyes?

So, apart from this magical moment, what makes the University stand-out for me? Well, perhaps above all it is the way it tries, as hard as it can, to treat students and staff as individuals. That means recognising our Skills, Circumstances, Ambitions, and Needs which is far from easy to deliver in a complex organisation. Even the attempt, makes York St John the wonderful place that it is.

What drew you towards leaving a gift in your will to York St John?

Leaving a gift in my Will to encourage this approach is for me, really a “no-brainer”, especially if the money will be used specifically to support students from backgrounds and contexts traditionally under-represented at university. I have spent the whole of my professional life identifying and promoting policies and practices which will achieve this. And that is exactly how I wish the Legacy to be used.

What would you say to anyone thinking about leaving a gift in their will to York St John?

Finally, I want to recommend anyone who has the resources to seriously consider a Legacy. The process is so simple and if you have any questions, the great folks in the Alumni and Fundraising team are always happy to answer your queries and advise when needed.

Next Post

Previous Post