Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Riccardo Tappo – Self-Employed

Class of 2012

Master of Arts in Documentary Production

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

Yes, at York St John University.

Job:

Self-employed

Why have you chosen this photo as your YSJ snapshot?

This is a photo depicting me in front of the York Minster after my graduation ceremony. It was the end of an amazing time spent in York as well as the beginning of new challenges and struggles.

What are your fondest memories of York St John University?

I have many “core memories” regarding my time spent in York. I come from a little Italian town where everybody knows everybody and that was my comfort zone.

Arriving in York I had the feeling of being alone for the first time in my entire life and I secretly cried every night for one week. Though I bless these hard times.

After a while I started feeling more confident, gaining new friends (who I am still in contact with) also found a job at an Italian restaurant. All these things gave me strength, determination and willing to finish my studies.

As final work I produced a film that I still consider one of the best I ever made. I clearly remember what I thought as I was walking in the Shambles for the last time before leaving York for good: one day I’ll walk again in these streets and I will think about all the amazing experiences I had here and I’ll be grateful for everything.

Random memories:

• My first Sunday roast
  • Folk concerts at The Habit
  • Attending my friend Ehsan’s solo theatre piece
  • The Shambles early in the morning
  • Walking home after 10 hours in the editing suite
  • Eating Persian food at home with my friends
  • The library and the view of York’s roofs
  • Walking all of the York walls as a ritual before flying to Italy
  • My teacher Pete Cook whose teachings I still use
  • Watching Italy’s Euro 2012 games at The Terrace with my friend Alaa (except the game against England…)

And so many things…

Why did you choose York St John University or founder colleges?

York St. John organized a summer school in 2011 together with an art center in my town, in Italy. One of the courses was Documentary Filmmaking and since I was very interesting on starting a filmmaker career I decided to join. I spent two amazing weeks in York, and one in Italy, attending lessons, filming and having fun with an international team of students. After these three weeks I was asked to consider an enrollment at the YSJU…which I pretty much did. 🙂

Also, I knew other Italian students who strongly suggested me to apply. Luckily for me I passed the English test and all the enrollment requirements and after few weeks I was already in York…

What have you been doing since completing your studies?

Love has always been a big drive in my life.

Because of love I decided to come back in Italy and trying to start my new career there. I sent hundreds of CVs, no one answered. I struggled a lot but I didn’t give up. I worked in the most humble workplaces, while producing independent music video for almost no money, as well as another long documentary about medieval reenactment in the Italian village I used to live.

Eventually things started to get better, I was hired by a local TV as camera operator, then I produced another documentary who has been screened in various festivals and has been bought by the Royal Anthropological Institute.

In 2017 I moved to Germany where I was offered a job as camera operator and editor at L’Oréal. In parallel, I continued to produce independent videos. In 2021 I left L’Oréal and started to work as freelance filmmaker, working on various projects.

I think I would had never found the courage to move to Germany without first having had my experience in York. Being a student in York gave me the confidence and the awareness who led me to outdare my fears. Learning a new language, being in contact with a different culture…I could not have done it without YSJU.

It’s not just about skills. It’s about being aware of the fact that boundaries are fake, we are citizens of the world.

Also, thanks to my experience in York, I am able to laugh at dark English jokes, which I love 🙂

What one piece of advice would you give to a current student, or one about to graduate?

Do not disunite yourself. In times of struggle the real YOU comes out. Enjoy every little part of your life as a student. Listen at the signs of the world.

Next Post

Previous Post