Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Chinthaka Jay Aluthgama-Baduge – Senior Lecturer

Senior Lecturer in Innovation, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship

Class of 2010

MA in Leadership and Management

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

No.

Why have you chosen this photo as your YSJ snapshot?

This is a collection of pictures from events (Sri Lankan new year celebrations 2011, 2012, 2013) organised by YSJ Sri Lankan Association, which is a branch of YSJ Alumni.

The idea for the association was developed during studies (2009-2010) and the association was launched in 2011. I am a founding member of the association. The association created numerous opportunities for students, particularly international students. These include opportunities to connect with local community, gaining work experience and mentoring/providing support for new students.

What are your fondest memories of York St John University?

I had the opportunity to interact and work with some great people, both as part of the studies and extra curricular activities. This includes the academics I had, the local community/businesses I interacted with etc. Working closely with YSJ Alumni team, initiating YSJ Sri Lankan association and organising events were special.

I did master’s degree, which is one year, which a quite short time period. Wish I had opportunity to study bit longer.

Why did you choose York St John University or founder colleges?

My master’s degree, MA in Leadership and Management, changed my approach to learning. The feedback/feedforward I received were unique, specially as an international student who mainly had exams and tests at undergraduate level. The programme allowed me to work with a well experienced academic and other staff, also to work with local business leaders.

I am one of the international scholarship holders (2009 September start) for post-graduate education at York St John University. The opportunity changed my life and I am always grateful for it.

What have you been doing since completing your studies?

I met my PhD supervisor during master’s degree at York St John University. I was looking for an opportunity to continue my higher education beyond my home country and York St John University created the opportunity and offered me a scholarship. Without the scholars I could never afford to pursue higher education to complete a master’s degree.

The scholarship and the master’s degree changed my life. It is the foundation for where I am today. I currently work in academia and the plan is to progress further in academia.

What one piece of advice would you give to a current student, or one about to graduate?

There are many opportunities offered, as part of the degree and beyond. Make good use of them.

If you can’t find opportunities, create opportunities for others (like I did by initiating York St John Sri Lankan Association), so you will find yours.

Next Post

Previous Post