Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Dana Isaly – author

Class of 2014

English Literature and English Language and Linguistics

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

No

JOB:

Author

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

Dana is wearing graduation attire and is stood outside York Minster.

I chose my graduation picture because you get to see the magnificent monster in the background, and the other is my current author headshot.

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

The history you got to see every day at the university and beyond the walls was just the best. And the friendships I created have lasted through til now.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

I always had a love for England, and when I decided that studying abroad wasn’t going to be enough for me, I just searched until I found a university that had beautiful grounds, a walkable city since I was coming from the US, and a welcoming environment.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

I’m currently an international bestselling author of romance books. And I can confidently say that YSJ gave me what I needed to be an author and go out on my own. I learned so much about creative writing, but one thing that has always stuck out to me is when one professor told me to always put something personal in every story. And I’ve lived on that for so long. Every time I write I think back to him and what he taught me. Along with all of the amazing professors at YSJ. I still have so many stories that I can’t wait to write, so in my future I just see me continuing to live my dream.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Go for what you want out of life! Nothing is too big to conquer. Don’t doubt yourself. Do things that terrify you. You’ve got this.

Next Post

Previous Post