Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Neil Shand – Production Manager

Class of 1993

BA Hons Drama, Film & TV Combined with English Literature

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

No

JOB:

ITV Production Manager

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

This is me today, taken recently as part of our ITV Emmerdale Production Management ‘head shots’. Having my photo taken is not something I particularly enjoy doing as I’m very much a behind the scenes person in my current role, but I recognise that in this day and age they ‘come with the territory’!

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

My fondest memories of York St John University (or UCYSJ as it was known in my day) were always with my ‘Monkgate housemates’. Seven of us all lived together on a house on the main roundabout at Monkgate and we had so many happy times together. It’s testament to the bonds we formed during those years that 30 years later we are all still good friends and several of us still meet regularly and on every New Year to eat, drink, laugh and socialise together just like we did back in our St John’s days. The main thing we and everyone else shared during our time at St Johns were the life lessons we all learned together, which taught us as much about ourselves as they did each other. St Johns always gave us the freedom to express ourselves and grow into the young adults we became and I am thankful that I had the chance to do this in such a wonderful place as York St John University.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OF FOUNDER COLLEGES?

I chose my course because it offered me the freedom to learn a range of media related subjects in combination with continuing my interest in English Literature. The key was the offer of learning all about Film & Television, which was my passion at the time and still is to this day. Few courses at that time had these criteria in their title and so the fact that St Johns offered this was a real plus. The other factor in my selection was the fact it was only 45 minutes from home. It allowed me to be just far away enough to be able to go home when I needed to but not too close to make it a regular thing- a perfect balance and being able to live in such a fabulous city like York truly was amazing!

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

Since I graduated from St Johns I have been fortunate enough to enjoy a 30+ year career in predominantly television production, but also in media and the wider creative arts. After a first job making videos for the Police, I was fortunate enough to get a job at ITV (then YTV) and worked across all productions for over 15 years in various roles, rising to the level of 1st Assistant Director. In 2009 I left ITV for a time and formed my own Corporate & Commercial Production Company, where I spent 5 years writing, producing and directing my own productions, largely in retail/commercials. Then in 2015 I left the industry for a few years to become Operations Director for an arts charity, running day to day operations at an Artists Studios & Gallery. Then in 2019 I was asked to return to Emmerdale at ITV where I continue to work as Production Manager, overseeing production of over 300 episodes of continuing drama every year.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

The best advice I would give any current student is to absolutely go for it and enjoy everything as much as you possibly can during your time at St Johns. If I have any minor regrets its that I didn’t recognise enough just how much you have the opportunity to truly express yourself and be the person you’ve always wanted to be. The facilities available at St Johns are and have always been brilliant but it’s down to you to make the most of them.

For those about to graduate I would say try to remain open-minded but retain your perspective and humility. As long as you don’t expect to leave and walk straight into a job because ‘you deserve it’ because you have a degree. A degree is only the first rung on the ladder and employers think more of those who not only recognise that, but are willing to earn their opportunities.

Next Post

Previous Post