Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Nicoletta Peddis – English Language Tutor

Class of 2018

English Literature and Creative Writing

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

Yes, at York St John University.

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

I’ve chosen this photo of my Master’s graduation day because it reminds of the relief and happiness of that day after a very busy year spent juggling postgraduate studies and two jobs. Also, there’s my favourite YSJ building in the background!

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

I loved every second of my 4 years at YSJ. I miss the time spent with coursemates who became good friends, the lectures, engaging in intellectually stimulating conversation about literature.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

I applied to York St John University as a mature student, after many years out of the education system. I chose YSJ because of how welcoming everyone was on the Open Day, with the lecturers spreading such passion for their subject that it was impossible to resist!

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

I’m currently working as an English Language Tutor in a British School in Cagliari, Italy. After completing my Masters I spent a few more years in York working for Nestlé and then I decided to obtain a English teaching qualification from Cambridge University and to move back to Italy in 2022. My time as YSJ gave me the confidence to apply for the CELTA qualification, even though English isn’t my first language. During my time at York St John I always felt supported in my decisions and empowered to pursue my chosen path.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Make the most of your time at York St John. Attend your lectures and seminars, go to tutorials with your lecturers, attend events and students nights with your coursemates and friends. When you’ll look back in a few years, you’ll realise that those are the fondest memories you have of your Uni years.

Next Post

Previous Post