Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Caroline Griffin – Cognitive Behavioural Therapist

Class of 2015

Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring BA (Hons)

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

Yes, somewhere else.

JOB:

NHS – Cognitive Behavioural Therapist

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

This photo was taken after my graduation ceremony in the beautiful York Minster. It was such a fantastic day spent with friends and family. It was lovely to celebrate everyone’s achievements after three years of hard work!

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

This is not a specific memory, but more of a general favourite experience from my three years at YSJ. I love learning and developing new skills, and my course at YSJ plus extracurricular activities such as joining societies gave me many opportunities to do this. I feel this helped me grow both academically and personally.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

I chose YSJ partially because I thought the course sounded interesting at the open day, and I liked how there were practical elements of the course (skills practice sessions, placements) to provide me with real experience of putting my newly learnt skills into practice. Another reason I chose YSJ is because I love the city of York! It is so charming and fascinating, and there is always lots of interesting stuff going on.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

Since graduating from YSJ, I attained two NHS funded postgraduate qualifications from Teesside University and the University of Hull, and I am now practicing as a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist within the NHS. I also attained a MSc in Psychology from the University of Chester with the aim of improving my skills as a researcher. My BA (Hons) in Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring provided me with an excellent foundation to build both my clinical and research skills upon.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Make the most of your experience at YSJ – whatever that may look like to you!

Next Post

Previous Post