Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Susan Foggin – Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner

Class of 2002

BSc Psychology

FORMER NAME:

Firmin/Dear

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

Yes, somewhere else.

JOB:

NHS Psychological wellbeing practitioner

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

This is a picture of me, settled in my role with the NHS offering low intensity CBT. My love for psychology was further grounded at York St John.

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

Meeting one of my closest friends, attending classes and being in the first cohort of the Psychology degree!!

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

It’s enthusiasm, the surrounding area and the history. I began my journey as one of the first cohorts on the Psychology degree, the lecturers were so enthusiastic about the subject and supportive, that this cemented my love for the subject.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

I took some time out to have a family. After my children have grown I returned to education and completed a Msc in psychology at a different college. My foundation with St. John allowed me to pursue a career in psychological services and I’m now a psychological wellbeing practitioner for the NHS.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Enjoy your time with the university. Upon graduation, remember that you have time, you do not have to be in your preferred careers straight away, you have life ahead of you and if you need to re-train there are always opportunities.

Next Post

Previous Post