Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Helen Cadman – Senior Leader on Education

Class of 1997

BA (QTS) Education and Music

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

No

JOB:

Senior Leader on Education/SENCO

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

This was after the degree ceremony back at Ripon. It is a priceless picture of myself, my mum and my nan (who were incredibly proud…the first grandchild with a degree at the time). The building in the courtyard depicts my first year room ..the top right attic room which I loved during my first year at Ripon. The later picture is of myself and my dad, who is currently still with us at 84 but reminds me of a time he could walk unaided and has always been my greatest support.

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

Being involved in musical activities including: Crotchets and Quavers Junior Orchestra with Andrew Roberts, performing in the lovely chapel at Ripon, singing the Messiah in Ripon Cathedral and attending the Huddersfield Contempory Music Festival. It’s always the extra stuff you remember!

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

The welcome given to my parents on interview day- it was the only uni I visited that cared for them too and the amazing Marilynne Davies who provided high expectations within a caring environment on both an educational, cohort and individual level, going above and beyond for each student. She set the standards and we aimed to meet them. Hopefully we did her proud.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

I began my career as a head of music in a Middle School in Staffordshire. I loved it and remained there for 18 years in addition to becoming the assistant head and taking on the SENCO role, a role a had shown interest in at uni doing an elective module. Little did I know it would shape my entire career. I remain a SENCo as it is an essential role within school and have been seconded to the LA for their advisory team, now lead my current Trusts’ SEND network, am an area coordinator for Whole School SEND in the county in which I work. I will not leave this role and love being a SENCO…now in my 25th year! I am still in school as well…27 years and counting.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Whatever you do, do it well. Kids need people who care about their learning, their life and then not just the lesson. Learn about them.

Next Post

Previous Post