Mei Gratton Deaf Culture Blog

The Arts and Deaf Culture

A MEANING WITH NO WORDS

Self Portrait, emotion. 2018

I never knew how powerful a voice could be until I found art. Growing up as such a shy and awkward person, I would hate speaking aloud and spent most of my time listen to music with a paint brush in my hand. The ways in which you can convey emotion non-verbally have been an interest to me for so long, as it is a comfort area I am used to expressing myself in. Having learnt so much about deaf culture this semester, I truly am fascinated with the BSL sign language but also the drive the community has. The deaf community has raised awareness of the lack of education surrounding deaf culture in the hearing community and even had to provide proof that BSL is a language and not just a sign language. The language was referred to as an official sign language on 18th March 2003 yet still has no legal protection under UK laws.

Self Portrait, emotion (series 2) – 2018

To convey something it does not have to be vocal. There are many different ways to be able to express yourself whether it is by splattering paint, making a best seller story or seeing how fast you can spin before becoming dizzy. Language is endless but unfortunately our lives are not. So, what’s stopping us from being the best version of us we can be?

Next Post

1 Comment

1. not your mother's curl talk October 22, 2021

Really enjoyed this article.Really looking forward to read more. Great.