Methodologies of the Practice

This projects methodology have been significantly influenced by other theatre makers and artists also working in the field of post dramatic theatre, and cross disciplinary arts practices. Although the work we are making is original, the processes we have followed to get here are borrowed and reworked from other companies and artists.

It might be beneficial to define originality in its context to the creation of our work. When I talk about originality, I am talking about two things here; Original as in ‘new’ and created by the collaborative, and Originality as in the ‘origin’ in which the work has come from.

Again, I am reminded of the thinking of Ingold who presents this notion of a tree and its inhabitants ‘Is the bark, for example, part of the tree? If I break off a piece in my hand and observe it closely, I will doubtless find that it is inhabited by a great many tiny creatures that have burrowed beneath it and made their homes there. Are they part of the tree?’ (Ingold 2010: 4) Ingold is engaging with this idea of the things that come together to make the tree what it is, without them yes, the tree would still be a tree, but it its rather a culmination of all of the inhabitants that gives this tree its purpose in nature.

This is a method I am always striving for in our work, all of the images that we make come from their own individual place (their origin) and on their own they would still exist as theatre images. But when they are formed together the originality begins to take shape. All of the traits that are inhabited in the individual images come together to make the show, but we as makers must acknowledge their origins in the making process.

What does this mean for us as theatre makers? For me it means that all of the work we have made during the process comes from an individual research methodology, we the collaborative all have our own way of making work and developing material for performance (our origin). We have all taken lead in different parts of performance making, but we must think about how the individual can become one, and how our origins can form the originality of the work.