Chantele Hodson

York St John's University

Mobile Journalism

Contextualising Statement 

For the mojo task, I decided to base it on social networking apps as this was one of the three themes. I chose my friend Ben for the task as having over 17,000 Instagram followers, I thought he would be a great example. I kept the filming local to York, this was mainly to do with time restraints as we only had 3 hours. However, York is a great scenic place, therefore I managed to achieve some nice shots.  

The brief included a piece to camera, so I decided the best place for this was Ben’s accommodation as it was quiet and relatable to the task. Bradshaw said, “if you are recording audio or video make sure you are close to the subject. This means you can get a clearer and steadier shot”. (Bradshaw, 2010:147) I also had to include a voiceover, this was evident of a few facts and statistics. I chose to do this as being only 60 seconds, I wanted it to be engaging to the audience and I thought this was the best way possible.  

Being an individual task, it meant a lot of planning. I drew up many ideas and shots but came to the final decision on social networking apps. I ensured that the risk assessment and booking form was completed with at least two days’ notice. It was vital I knew exactly what I was doing so I didn’t come across any problems with the public or roads demonstrated on my risk assessment.  As it was a mojo task, we had to record our shots on IPad’s and edit on iMovie. After watching the tech demo in class, this made it easier to put the final edit together.  

References 

Bradshaw, P. (2018) The Online Journalism Handbook 2nd ed. New York: Routledge  

Next Post

Previous Post