Research Profile: Ian Wilson

Who am I?

I am a senior lecturer in the School of Education teaching on the undergraduate Primary Education and Education Studies programmes. I am course lead for the second year undergraduate primary education programme.

Research Interests

My research interests focus on the use of technology to support and promote learning and teaching within higher education. I am particularly interested in the use of online webinars and how technology can be used effectively within teaching sessions. I am currently researching topics relating to the use of mobile devices within sessions, student views about the mathematics QTS skill test and how this supports their teaching and how to promote engagement within discussion forums. I am exploring the ways to engage with the use of electronic surveys as a tool for data collection and, due to my blog writing, I am developing my understanding of an autoethnographic approach to research.

Recent Publications

Chapter in: Hopkins, D, (2017) Emergency Rations – what’s so important we can’t leave it at home?

Positive PowerPoint – developing good practice through practitioner research (TEAN Journal)

Future Research

As technology continues to advance, I am really interested in developing an understanding of how these advances can be used within learning and teaching effectively within higher education. Live streaming of content continues to be an active interest as does how to use technology to support student engagement both within the sessions and through asynchronous learning. With distant learning becoming more prevalent I think it is important that research continues to explore how technology can support this but without becoming a channel for information giving, including the promotion skills such as critical thinking.

Post Author: Ian Wilson

Currently working in higher education as a senior lecturer in education. I have a keen interest in e-pedagogy especially how technology and social media can be used to support teaching and learning.