Advertorial: The James Martin Multi-functional Blender

The James Martin multi-functional blender is a must have product for those wanting to live a healthy lifestyle, even if they have busy schedules. Follow the link below to find a video explaining how to use the product and why you should purchase it. 

https://vimeo.com/306562364 

The storyboard for this video can be found below: 

Reflective Evaluation of the Advertorial:

As a group, when given the task of creating an advertorial, we aimed to produce a video that both explained and promoted the lifestyle product that we chose. After much deliberation around what a lifestyle product could be, we decided to produce an advertorial for a James Martin multi- functional blender with the intention to aim the video at a target audience of people wanting to live a healthy lifestyle without necessarily having lots of time to dedicate to making full healthy meals from scratch.

Lots of research was useful in the pre- production stage of this particular task as we wanted a clear picture of what an advertorial should consist of. Essentially, we found that advertising is the ‘distribution of persuasive messages by or on behalf of brand marketers’ (Schultz, 2016) so the video needed to really persuade the audience that the product is useful as part of a healthy lifestyle and that it is worth purchasing, while also explaining how the product actually works. Although the tutorial elements of the video are clear, and I feel that the video does include some persuasive elements such as describing the various useful functions of the blender, I do feel that the message that the audience should purchase the product was not pushed hard enough. For example, graphics such as ‘buy now’ could have been included to really push the advertisement side, something that I will consider on future projects like this.

Another problem that I faced myself was during the individual edit when there were various technological issues occurring, such as the music cutting out halfway through the exported video and visual glitches that only occurred once the video was exported. I also struggled to put the soundscape together due to my lack of experience with sound editing but I did try my best to enhance the product with sound, a skill that I will definitely practice. This was a major issue for me because it cost a lot of time as I tried to figure out various problems. However, being fully aware that edits can change ‘up until the last minute’ we ensured as a crew that there was plenty of time left after the shoot to resolve issues such as these (Kindem and Musburger, 2005).

References:

Kindem, G. and Musburger, R.B. (2005) Introduction to Media Production: The Path to Digital Media Production. 3rd ed. Burlington, Elsevier. p. 203

Schultz, D. (2016) The Future of Advertising or Whatever We’re Going to Call It. Journal of Advertising, 45(3), pp. 276 – 285