Blade Runner 2049 (2017, Denis Villeneuve)

On Tuesday the 10th of October, the second year, Imaginary Worlds: Researching Science Fiction class went to York City Screen to watch Denis Villeneuve’s Blade Runner 2049. Below you can find some 75-word reactions from students who came along and watched the film:

blade-runner-2049-main

James Southcott:

Upon viewing Blade Runner 2049 earlier this week, I came away with a profound effect on my psyche. The film brought up many questions about my own existence, moral codes, and identity. The film has preserved its legacy and generated 30 more years of fan theories and arguments. As a result of the film’s hard-hitting truths about self-identity I now quell in existentialism that I’m probably a ‘replicant’ but without the good looks or intelligence.

Morgan Barr:

Satisfaction and Blade Runner are terms that, for me, could not be synonymous. The original film, akin to an uncompleted jigsaw puzzle, not only in its narrative but famously, in its editing, left audiences thrilled and wanting more. Blade Runner 2049 continues this legacy; to bewilder by extending the world we know both visually and contextually, ultimately letting the cool noir of the original lead to a passionate sequel that confronts a hopeless quest for humanity.