Special Needs Charity Flourishes With Help From Student Volunteers

A local charity has faced the winter months by continuing its contact schemes to aid young people with disabilities. The Special needs activities and play provisions for York charity (Snappy) has carried on running its contact schemes that allow young people with special needs to learn life skills through an array of different activities, along with help from their staff and many volunteers.

Snappy has a lot of ties around York, given that it is one of the most well known charities in the area, one of those is a close relationship with York St John university. There are many students past and present that have done work with the charity and this still goes on today.

One of those students is Leah Stainsby, 19. Leah is a second year psychology student and has been volunteering at Snappy for a number of months now: “I think I started near the beginning of the summer. It was originally to get in early because I need so many hours of volunteer work for my course.”

After taking part in a lot of the events over the summer, Leah now goes on a Saturday afternoon to help with the contact schemes that the charity runs every Saturday and Thursday: “I love going there weekend, everyone there is so lovely and it is such good fun for me and hopefully all the guys there too.”

Leah then went on to talk about some of the current schemes that Snappy are currently running: “At the minute we are collecting foil and cans to raise money so I keep saving up my cans in a bag, then take it with me when I go.” They are currently taking these recyclables from donations and the collections the staff are volunteers are doing, and recycling them to raise money.

Snappy is currently focusing its media efforts on raising awareness for their next big fundraiser for winter, the winter warmer fundraiser dinner. This is a ticket only dinner with the aim of raising money for Snappy and the Yorkshire Air Ambulance. These charities take part in many different fundraisers throughout the year, they are aiming to bring people into this event with some of their celebrity ambassadors.