Review – 5 Seconds of Summer

The room was flooded with screams and lights as the 4 boys ran onto stage to play their first song. 5 Seconds of Summer recently headlined the o2 academy in Sheffield following a 6-month sold-out tour.

5 Seconds of Summer, which is commonly shortened to 5SOS, are a pop rock band from Sydney Australia. The band was formed in 2012 and consists of lead vocalist Luke Hemmings, guitarist Michael Clifford, bassist Calum Hood and drummer Aston Irwin. Their most recent tour followed their third album Meet You There. Having never seen them live before, I was sceptical whether they would live up to my expectations and they did not disappoint.

The o2 academy is a small venue which is a huge contrast to their last tours where they would perform in a larger venue like arenas and stadiums, when they supported one direction on their tours.  This gave the concert an intimate feel and made me feel more comfortable at my first concert.

The concert was supported by a small, lesser known band called LovelyTheBand, which is an American indie band lead by Mitchy Collins. Their music was a great lead up to the main event. I haven’t heard of this band until I saw them in Sheffield and it was a great first experience. Many bands have a not great band as their support but LovelyTheBandwas not a let-down.

5SOS opened with Babylonand was followed by She’s kinda hot, these songs collectively got the audience hyped and they were a great way to open their set. The set was filled with recent songs and songs that fans love from their old albums. Some of my favourites were Ghost of you, Want you back andShe looks so perfect.

At the end of the set, they came back and sang Youngblood as an encore. This was predictable and not a huge surprise as it was the main song on the album with the same name.

Overall, I had a great experience and both bands did not disappoint. Would I see them again? Absolutely! I would also recommend them to all my friends.