Key Contacts

Anthony Smart: Lecturer in Ancient & Medieval History at York St John University

About: I was a Visiting Lecturer in the academic year 2012-2013, and joined the History team at York St John as a full member of academic staff in September 2013. I have published on Greek, Roman and Anglo-Saxon history, and I am particularly interested in political and legal structures and the ideas shaping them.

I am currently finishing a book on Grief and Sorrow in the Roman Republic, and am sketching out a new study of Romulus, the legendary founder of Rome. I have also recently been working on ideas of empire in the ancient world (Periclean Athens and the late Roman Republic), thinking about both the intellectual understanding of empire, and the structural realities that maintain imperial rule. This allows me to expose the complex narratives that can be articulated against or in defence of empire, and the social and political experiences of those who live within imperial systems of government.

I have been nominated for several teaching awards at York St John University, most recently the YSJSU Feedback Teaching Award (2019), YSJSU Inspirational Teaching Award (2019 & 2021) and YSJU Most Supportive Staff Member (2021).

The most up-to-date list of my publications can be found here.

Please get in touch if you have any questions about the series!