Children and Young People

During the second year of my degree, I took a module called Children and Young People. Here, I went into a Primary School and helped run a drama after school club for 7-11 year olds, and then created a performance based off workshops we did with them and what we learnt. We worked around the theme of Moving On as a lot of the children seemed to be worried about moving to a new school, and growing up in general. This module allowed me to tell a story through acting and allowed the children to use their imagination. Children’s imaginations are wild, and we understood this and used it to our advantage by making rocket ships out of boxes and allowing them to help create our characters. We wanted them all to understand that moving on is okay. We had all just done that by moving to university and left our parents and we survived so they can survive moving to a new school. Storytelling was a huge part of this module as it’s easy for children to follow and stay interested. Learning about them through workshops allowed us to know what they did and didn’t like so we could adapt that into the performance to give them an enjoyable experience.