Review of Spoiled Brats by Simon Rich

Spoiled Brats is held up against a brick wall. The cover shows a young man with a small dog in his pocket, arms full of shopping, wearing big headphones. 'The funniest book of the year' - Matt Haig. 'Simon Rich is outrageously lavishly gifted' - Caitlin Mann.

I will admit that I was skeptical about ‘Spoiled Brats’ when it was added to my reading list, but it impressed me so much that I have decided to recommend it here! Spoiled Brats is a collection of satirical short stories that are hilariously absurd. They focus on the experience of a culture where every generation is blamed for the issues of society and pokes fun at ‘helicopter parents’, ‘hipster consumerism’ and many other relatable topics. The everyday setting is made humorous by including monsters, time travel, and space tourism to highlight the absurdity of some of our cultural behaviors and trends. The social criticism is placed at a distance through Rich’s unexpected inclusion of Science Fiction elements which makes the satire all the wittier and more effective – despite their twists and otherworldly details, many of these stories feel like they could be based on people that I know in real life.

• By Mie, Information Adviser at York St John
Review of Spoiled Brats by Simon Rich
%d bloggers like this: