Learning Success @ YSJ Podcast: Series 1 Episode 1: Preparing to study [transcript]

[Welcome music] 

00:00:15 [Host] Tom  

A topic that’s on the mind of every new student – preparing to study at university. Whether you’re packing your bags for the first time or returning for another year, getting ready for uni life at YSJ is both exciting and a little overwhelming. From knowing what to expect from university, to practical steps you can take, we’re to help you get started. Welcome to Learning Success @ YSJ. 

[Music] 

00:00:57 [Host] Tom  

So we are joined today on our first ever episode to talk about preparing to study and I’m joined by Katherine Cross who is a Study Development Tutor and also a Lecturer in Liberal Arts. So has some really, really fantastic insights from both of her roles to share with us today. And what we thought we’d think about today as some useful hints and tips as part of preparing to study for university. We know that preparing to study for university and coming to university can be a really big, a big stepping stone for lots of you out there. So we thought we’d take a little bit of time just to break some of those expectations down. So what is university studying going to be like for you. But also thinking about some things that you can do in advance to to prepare and get your mind ready to studying. So, Katherine, where should we start? 

00:01:56 Katherine 

Well, I think the best thing to do when you’re planning and getting ready to come to university is take a moment to reflect on your previous learning experiences, maybe habits, you’ve already got into and ideas about learning that you already have and think how is university going to be different for you. So I know a lot of students are coming directly from school or college. Other students might have taken some time away from education and have been in work, others this might have been learning at home. So there’s there’s lots of different educational experiences that people come with. But university is a new thing again. 

00:02:36 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. So let’s dig into that a little bit. So for some people who are listening, this may be the first time they come to university and as you said, it can feel quite different. So what would you say are some of the main things that differentiate being at university from other kinds of education? 

00:02:53 Katherine 

I think the main thing is that you have chosen to be here. You’ve chosen you course of study, and now it is up to you to make the most of it. So you’re going to be supported by everybody here, particularly by your lecturers and people working on your programme and your programme team. But it’s really up to you to take up the opportunities that are presented to you. So I think that can be a bit of a shift in mindset, particularly if you’ve been at school before, where a lot of that study is very closely directed and you do a lot of the work under supervision of your teachers. Here at university you’re going to have to be on top of things a little bit more for yourself and decide for yourself. Quite often what it is that you want to do. What do you want to focus on? 

00:03:38 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. And I think something that’s really important to to ask you here is when we hear the word independent learning, we think “does that mean I’m not gonna be taught? Does that mean that it’s all it’s on? You know, it’s on me as a student to teach myself?” What does that actually mean to be an independent learner? 

00:03:55 Katherine 

OK, well it it definitely does mean you’re not supported. You’ll be very well supported and recommended what to do what to what you need to learn. You’ll be taught a lot. Yeah, but you need to be open to learning. Identifying what are the most important things for you to learn. So you will have lectures, seminars, maybe other kinds of workshops or practical sessions. But you’ll also have to do quite a bit of self study that you schedule in for yourself. So I think what this means is one thing is about your own mindset, thinking that you are going to be taking the initiative and making sure that you’re keeping up, that you’re reaching out for the support that’s there, that you’re keeping in contact with your programme team or your lecturers. But it’s also about planning your time, and I think that’s one of the transitions that a lot of students take a little bit of maybe the first semester to get used to, and that’s totally normal, of managing their own time most effectively and in a realistic way as well. 

00:05:01 [Host] Tom  

Well, fantastic. So we’ve got quite a few things that we can dig into there really practically. I think the first thing to start with thinking about university as a learning journey. So we now know that independent learning is really important and that’s gonna be done in a range of ways, both and through being taught and in different kinds of sections, and then through working independently. So let’s start with those taugh sessions you mentioned that we’ve got lectures who have seminars and might have workshops, these different kind of lessons might be really new to to some students who are who are coming. So how would you define what a lecture is and what a seminar is? What are those two things? 

00:05:39 Katherine 

Well, this will vary a lot depending on your programme, but in general a lecture is is something that the the lecturer will lead you through some content or some ideas, some information and they will tell you about it. So they might do this through a range of media, and there might be a lot of talking. There might be videos and images and texts to look at. They’ll probably be a little bit of discussion, but in general this is something that should come to prepared to take some notes, prepared to try and remember what’s been covered, and that it might provide an introduction or sort of a direction of one of the most, some of the most important topics that you’re studying for that module. So that is really, really crucial to getting you oriented in a topic and making sure you’re on the right track and that you know what’s going on. Different lecturers will lecture in different ways, so you need to you’ll you’ll get used to your different lecturers. 

00:06:41 [Host] Tom  

Yeah, because that’s a lecture. And then normally then normally the some of the biggest classes that you’re gonna have. So your lecture may be with everyone on your programme and then that gets broken down into smaller seminars. So Katherine what is a seminar? 

00:06:57 Katherine 

So a seminar is a lot more discussion based, so this is normally a smaller group, as you say, and it will be a group with a lecture again, but it might be discussing what’s been covered in the lectures or in some reading that you’ve done in advance. Or you might have some activities to do in small groups. I think what’s key here is just coming prepared to be a bit open, to listen to other people in the group, not just the lecturer, and to try out some ideas and ask some questions, and and talk to other people on your course. So it’s probably where the most active learning happens, but it’s also a great way to get to know with the people as well because this is when you can interact with them the most. 

00:07:41 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. And you mentioned then, that might be other workshops and other kinds of sessions and obviously they’re going to be really varied depending on the subject that you’re studying. But again, any things like workshops, practicals, those kind of things and it might also be field trips or other kinds of things that you’re doing, that again are very active, very practical, very hands on. You might be in a in a school where there’s technicians who are doing work with you on technical skills. So again, there’s a wide range of different kinds of learning that’s going on. So that’s kind of the the directed learning. And then you mentioned about independent learning, and that that’s really important for where your time management and your planning and skills come in. So and for some of our listeners if you’re out there, you may have come from school, or you may have come from a work setting where the expectations on your time may look very different and now you’ve got to completely plan all of your time around your timetable. What are some tools, techniques or resources or things that are available to help with planning your time, deciding what’s important and what to do? 

00:08:54 Katherine 

Yeah. So I I guess the first thing is your timetable. And having access to your timetable and checking this regularly in case it’s been updated, it shouldn’t change much, but just check in with it every week and and everything on your timetable unless it specifies that it’s optional is a compulsory session. So the first thing you need to do know where you’re meant to be and when this might be pretty much the same every week, or it might not be so it it’s worth bearing that in mind. And the other thing that you should do is just think that the amount of study time should be about equivalent to a full time working week, which is 40 hours. So you might come and see that your your timetable doesn’t have that that many hours on it one week, but that doesn’t mean that you’re free the rest of the time because there’s work required in preparation and after those sessions. Now, if you’re working a job, you’ve got other responsibilities, you’ve got different things to do when you’re commuting, then there’s a lot of things to find your week, it’s not just about your timetable and getting in and out of university. So, we in Study Development have some tools to help with that. I’ve just ordered lots of big semester planners that I hope that you will use, maybe use as a wall planner, but we also have a week by week planner on our website to help you, just to make sure that you can fit all that you need to do into your week that you can do the preparation for your classes, you can get your job and also get yourself study time. And there’s also digital tools available. There’s a great section on the library website for assistive technology and time management, and that’s got some digital tools to help you with that as well. 

00:10:47 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. And and I guess just to to close the conversation here on that independent learning, I guess something that people are listening might be thinking is “well, it’s great. I’ve been to my lecture and and I know that I’ve got some assignments to do, but how do I know what I’m supposed to be studying in my own time? What what am I supposed to be actually doing? How will I know what it is I’m meant to be doing?” 

00:11:12 Katherine 

Yeah, I mean great question. And I think it’s quite difficult to know at first. There’s so much that you you’re going to learn over the course of your degree. So first of all, you will if you go to all your sessions, your lecturers will direct you to everything that you need to do, but you will also have a Moodle page for each module that you take, so I’ll just explain what that means. The Moodle is our virtual learning environment. And you will get access to it at the beginning of your degree, and you’ll be enrolled on those courses. So they will your your different modules will show up and this will have all your lecture materials. It will have the tasks that you’re expected to do in preparation each week and and most importantly, perhaps links to your reading lists, which will show you the reading that you will need to complete or tasks whatever it is, depending on your course of study in in advance of a session. And that’s often split into things that are Essential to do to prepare for Sessions and recommended additions, depending on how much time you’ve got that week, maybe what you’re most interested in, you might you might do. You might choose between those different recommendations. So those are the main things you might have uh module or programme handbook? Different programmes are different on this. But my other tip would be just get to know your academic staff and talk to them about it. They’ll point you in the right direction. So check those Moodle pages. Listen to what is said in your talk sessions and then if you still don’t know, you can ask them. 

00:12:59 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. And I think I was just reflecting, as you were talking about what we’re doing here and we’re talking about is getting into that, that mindset of what studying is going to be and and what we’re here for. And I guess what’s useful even at this stage as you are preparing to study, everyone who’s listening is, so we know where we’re gonna be, we know we’re gonna have lectures and seminars and we know we’re gonna have independent study time. I guess the final piece of that puzzle is, well, what is it working towards? How will I know that I’m doing a good job? How I know that I’m learning what I’m supposed to be learning, how will my lecturers know that I’m learning what they’re hoping I’m learning? So this is maybe a good time just to tell you all about assessment at university. So Katherine, tell us a little bit about how you as a lecturer, how do you know that your students are learning? 

00:14:02 Katherine 

Well, as a lecture, I find it really reassuring when students talk to me either in in one-on-one tutorials. So that’s something that offer to all of my students if they want to come and have a chat about how they’re getting on, but also just in seminars. If you’re contributing in seminars or show that you’re listening, it doesn’t have to be by speaking in front of the whole group, but however you’re contributing, then that reassures me that you’re following. But we also have different types of assessment and often feedback throughout our modules. So you’ll be working towards a summative assessment, one or two pieces normally per module. That is what you get graded on, and that will contribute to your overall mark or grade or path. But before you do that, we offer formative feedback. So formative feedback means you do it while you are learning, and it’s an opportunity for us to check in with each other about how you’re getting on. So for example, for the very first module that I teach our foundation year students, we asked them to write an essay at the end of the module, and they get graded on that. So halfway through the module, we asked them to give us an essay plan. And then we give them feedback on their essay plan and have a chat about it. Now that does not contribute to their mark. So if they are totally unsure with what they’re doing and it’s barking up the wrong tree, then they can change it all. If it’s really, really excellent, we can give them encouragement and maybe pointers of things to add or places to go into more depth. Whatever it is, it’s just to help you towards that final assessment and that looks different in every module, but I would really emphasise it’s just to help you know where you are and to improve that final submission, that final piece of assessment, so really take up those opportunities. 

00:16:05 [Host] Tom  

And and that sounds amazing. I I think what we’ve tried to highlight here is that that breadth of the learning journey that you’re all about to go on, where you’ve got lots of contact time with your lecturers. Lots of experiences where you’re going to learn lots of new things. Lots of time to explore those things in your own time in a way that works for you. And then lots of opportunities to test how that, how you are learning and and what you’re learning and then getting some really good supportive feedback. It it feels to me and seems that it’s a really you’re about to embark on a really exciting learning journey. So what I’m interested Katherine then is what would you say to our incoming students is the best thing about becoming a student at YSJ? 

00:17:04 Katherine 

I think that there are so many opportunities for you to follow your own interests here. Most of the programmes are set up in ways that you can learn, new things, things that you may might not have thought of before, but you can also tailor your course of study or what you focus your assessments on to the things that are really important to you, so real emphasis on that among staff here, and that you’ll also be – there’s two things really – you’ll also be really well supported and there’s the programme team, the lecturers, that you’ll be working with very closely are there to support you and are really dedicated to that. But then there’s also a lot of central support services that will that you can reach out to for support with particular issues or things that you’re working on. 

00:17:57 [Host] Tom  

Amazing. So now that we’re in a really good mindset, we’re ready, we’re thinking, “Yes, I’m ready to learn. I’m ready to do this”, so let’s just finish off this episode by thinking very practically about what are some of the practical preparation that that you can do as a student. Katherine, I can see you’ve got a really helpful little checklist of practical prep and advice so take us through your your top tips for preparing for your first set of sessions. 

00:18:31 Katherine 

Well, I know that I always feel much calmer and can get out, get more out of a a lecture or a discussion if I’m actually practically prepared and I’ve got everything that I need so well in advance of of going out to your first day at university, I would pack a study bag that you can just always have, so always ready to engage with your sessions or with that self study time. Having things in it like have you got some water? Have you got a little snack, a pen and paper or a tablet or laptop, whatever it is that you use to take notes or record what’s happening? That you have the any details that you need like about where you’re meant to be, or maybe if you’ve been given your IT account details for example, you need to have them with you, you’ll get a student card when you get here. So that will become part of that kit. And I think if you’ve got that ready to go the night before, then you’re not going to worry about that in the morning. 

The other thing that I think you will sort out once you’re here, but once you’ve got access to all the information, is knowing where you need to be. So that’s again, looking at your timetable and getting used to reading the timetable. So knowing where you need to be and you on our timetable website, you can actually look at pictures of the room. So if that would be reassuring to you to know sort of what’s the setup, am I going to be sitting at a table or in a lecture theatre and then and just sort of deciding where will I be most comfortable, that’s really useful. Or once you’re here, you can go and find them. We’re quite a small campus. It will help you learn your way around the campus. You’re out to stress out about being on time. When if you visited them in advance, you can have a look at all the materials that have been sent to you, so you should have a welcome pack. You might have got some information from your own course team or maybe from the Students’ Union. And once you’ve enrolled, you will have access to our online welcome module, YSJ For You. 

So I think those are all the things that you can do in advance just to make sure that you have everything practical set up and ready for your first sessions. 

00:20:47 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. And then just thinking very practically for when you arrive at those sessions, what are some of the kind of key principles that you would want our listeners to take away as part of engaging with those sessions? 

00:21:04 Katherine 

Well, I think that a lot of students feel a bit nervous, but particularly before the 1st sessions and I would just say don’t let that hold you back. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve talked to students from the same seminar group that say “ohh everyone else seems so confident but I feel so nervous”. Well, everybody has said that to me, so really don’t let that hold you back. Make sure you get there if you and get settled in. Talk to somebody. If you get there a bit early you could maybe have a have a chat with somebody else. They all feel the same as you and they’re all new. And my top tip for any sort of discussion whether you’re expected to contribute is “speak up early”. If you’ve said something near the beginning, even if it’s just to say “yes, I can hear you” to the lecturer or something like that, then you will find it much easier next time you’ve broken the silence. Or sometimes there are other ways to contribute as well. Make sure you’re on time, so aim to be a little bit early that first time so you don’t rush in once it’s already started. And and then finally, just listen to other people as well. And so we started by saying that people come from different backgrounds. So you’re probably going to be talking to people with different viewpoints, different ideas from you, maybe more so than you have before. So be open to that. Listen to everybody else just as much as you are contributing yourself. 

00:22:32 [Host] Tom  

Fantastic. So hopefully, everyone that’s listening, that has given you some useful reassurance about what you’re about to experience. Joining us at YSJ but also some practical things that you can do to prepare and get ready and give yourself the best start for your time with us here at York St. John. Thank you for joining us and we’ll see you on the next episode. 

Thomas Peach

Academic Services Manager, Library and Learning Services.