City of YorkStudent Life

Christmas in York

York is not only a beautiful city all year round, but from November to December, it turns into Santa’s grotto. Christmas time in York is truly magical, with the festive lights, the smell of the Christmas Markets and the sound of joyful cheer amongst everybody. It adds to the atmosphere. As a recent graduate from York St John, and this being my fourth year spending the festive period in York, I thought I would list a few things to do during this special time of year. 

1. York Christmas Market- St Nicholas Fair 

Located at the heart of York’s city centre, the Christmas markets bring festive cheer every year to thousands of visitors and are one of the main festive attractions York has to offer. So if you need a unique Christmas gift or are looking to taste some tasty treats, head on down. Only a stone’s throw away, the market is easy to get to; here is a video of how to get to the Christmas markets from the university. 

The York Christmas Markets at night.

2. Yorkshire Winter Wonderland at York Designer Outlet 

Located at York Designer Outlet, the winter wonderland offers a magical experience for all with an outdoor ice rink, a vintage funfair, Santa’s Grotto, and The Chalet, which is an alpine café. So, if you fancy yourself as a great skater, then this is not one to miss, as it will truly get you into the festive spirit. The winter wonderland is free to enter, but tickets need to be bought to go into the separate attractions. 

The York Designer Outlet.

3. York Minister Christmas Carol Concert 

What can be more festive than hearing Christmas carols, Christmas carols in York Minister, I would say. The choir of the York Minister performs a selection of well-known carols every year over a selection of days at the beginning of December to help everyone get into the festive spirit. 

York Minster.

4. York Minister Christmas Tree Festival 

You can’t get any more Christmassy than Christmas trees so heading over to the Christmas tree festival is necessary. With over 40 trees each year decorated by local businesses, schools, and charities from all over York. You can also add your own personal Christmas message to one of the trees. Entry is free to all York St John students. All you need to bring is your student ID. 

Christmas Trees in York Minster.

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.