AccommodationStudent Life

Homesickness: tips on adjusting to life living away from home 

For many of students, going to university is the first time they are living away from home, so here are some top tips in case you are feeling worried about the transition. 

Keep busy, but you can say no 

The first weeks of university are filled with many activities from organised events to spur-of-the-moment plans with your new friends, so say yes to as many things as possible. Everything can be overwhelming at first and everybody is in the same boat. So, challenge yourself to explore new things and talk to new people. However, don’t pressure yourself too much to the point where you feel uncomfortable. You can say no and often spending time in your new little bedroom, decorating and making it feel more like home can be great also. 

Don’t panic 

First and foremost, don’t panic you aren’t the only one who is probably feeling anxious or homesick during the first couple of weeks of university. It can be quite scary at first, but I promise, it won’t last forever. If you are struggling, you can reach out to our support team who can work with you.  

Don’t go home too soon 

One big thing I would suggest is not to go home too soon once you have moved, as this will help with your homesickness. Going home a lot will make you feel unsettled and can often make your life harder in the long run. Give yourself a proper chance to get settled in and get to know your new flat/coursemates. I would suggest getting your friends or family to come visit you, in your new city. It is a great way to balance out both of your lifestyles.  

Hang out with a furry friend 

You might not only be missing your friends and family, but you might be also missing your furry friend from home. At York St John you can book sessions with our resident support dog Blue. In the session you can get some well-needed cuddles and talk to one of our professional support staff.  

Megan

Hi, my name is Megan, and I am a recent graduate from York St John University. During my time at university, I learned a trick or two about life as a student, so I thought I’d share my experiences to help you get the most of yours.