Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Welcome Back to Education Scholar – 2023 Graduate

Graduation year: 2023

Degree: Product Design

Scholarship: Welcome Back to Education

Why did you apply for the alumni-funded scholarship?

So, a little background. When I applied for the scholarship, I was 49 years old, a single parent and on Universal Credit and PIP. Applying for University and Student finance was easy, and I was more than welcomed at YSJ. The Associate Head of Design Simon Pattison recommended I applied for the scholarship after he took the time to discuss the financial difficulties I was experiencing thanks to Universal Credit.

At the end of the first year my marks were not up to the standard (2:2) both me and the faculty expected. I knew I could do better.

How did the scholarship help you?

The first year I combined it with the Aspire fund and bought a laptop. Over the summer break I poured all my spare time into learning the software and skills I would need for year 2. Again, the ongoing support of the Arts Faculty and YSJ gave me the confidence to work towards a higher standard. For Year 2 I knew I had the scholarship coming and decided I would use the money to invest in further training and education. The work I had put in on my studying started to show rewards and my marks for the 21/22 year put me at a high 2:1 / 1st level.

Through March of 2022 I became involved with Refugee Action York and volunteered at the weekly drop in by displaced families at the YSJ Café. This is where I decided I could use the scholarship in a way that benefited others as well. Over the summer break, I used the money to pay for a Level 5 Teaching English as a Foreign Language course and a Level 3 Award in Education Training course. This is having a direct impact on Refugees in York as I now teach English on a Wednesday morning in the university café to a mix of people who have found themselves in the care of Refugee Action York.

What are your plans for the future after you graduate this year?

As I enter my 3rd year, my aim is to graduate with a First-Class Honours in Product Design. The scholarship will be used to fund the Diploma in Education and Training course with Qualified Teaching Learning and Skill status which I intend to do at the same time as my 3rd year. Hopefully I will carry on at YSJ and do my masters with the ultimate goal being to work in the refugee camps.

My thanks go to YSJ, the Vice Chancellor and the sponsors and supporters of the scholarship scheme. I hope you find that I have used the opportunity and investment to better myself and others.

Next Post

Previous Post