Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Current Ed De Nunzio Scholar

Current year of study: Third

Degree: Children, Young People and Society

Scholarship: Ed De Nunzio Scholarship

Why did you apply for this donor-funded scholarship?

I applied for the scholarship as I was struggling financially with my accommodation and chronic health condition. Treatment for my condition isn’t fully covered by the NHS. However, I previously discovered holistic therapies significantly help to manage my condition. Allowing me to live a more fulfilled life, balancing work and university studies with minimal pain and fatigue. However, these costly appointments as well as affording accommodation and bills put a strain on me mentally, which then impacted my condition.

How did the scholarship help you?

Receiving the scholarship has been a huge blessing for me, as I’ve been able to pay for various holistic therapy treatments when I required them without juggling the impact this would have on my other financial commitments. These appointments make a transformational impact on my body and are essential for my physical health to prevent flare ups that are debilitating and stop me from carrying out daily activities. I also used the funds to buy an iPad, this was in order to make my studies more accessible as my laptop is heavy and carrying it every day was negatively impacting my health. My iPad is significantly lighter and puts less strain on my body.

How has the scholarship helped you give back through your degree?

The money has also supported me across the summer break as I work part-time for a charity that links to my studies. Having the scholarship there provided me with a safety net of funds so I could continue with a job that provided me career fulfilment, despite it not meeting my financial needs. In my role I support disadvantaged families with young children and I am pleased to be able to give back to a community so close to my heart and own circumstances.

What would you like to say to those who supported your scholarship?

Thank you so much to the Ed De Nunzio Charitable Trust for your contribution to my studies allowing me to achieve my potential.

Please can you provide an update now you are further into your studies?

I am now in my final year at YSJ and although my original circumstances remain; I still have my chronic health condition. Although it is managed incredibly better than when I first started at university and as many other students, I am still affected by the cost of living crisis.

I am now a mother to an 11 week old little boy; he is my absolute world, and I am overjoyed to be his mum. With this being said, I am very thankful to be able to continue my studies and finish my final year while juggling my new motherhood role. Part of this is due to the scholarship still relieving financial burdens during my studies and allowing me to focus on achieving the degree that I deserve. The scholarship has helped to do this without the anxiety of finances impacting my mental health and creating further barriers.

I’m achieving the highest grades since starting at YSJ and that wouldn’t have been possible without the scholarship and support of the Ed De Nunzio Charitable Trust.

Next Post

Previous Post