Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Jenna Houston – Publishing

Marketing Executive

Class of 2018

English Literature

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

Yes, somewhere else.

Job:

Marketing Executive at Boldwood Books.

Why have you chosen this photo as your YSJ snapshot?

This was me graduating from my Masters degree in English Literature. I would never have had the courage to pursue postgraduate study had it not been for the brilliant teaching and encouragement from my lecturers at York St. John.

What are your fondest memories of York St John University?

My favourite thing was just being with my friends all day, everyday. I miss that so much! I also miss going to my seminars and engaging in interesting conversations about literature every week – I loved my classes and often wish I could go back and relive it all.

Why did you choose York St John University or founder colleges?

I chose to study English Literature because I loved reading, but I chose York St. John because on an open day, the lecturers were so welcoming and really made me feel excited about the prospect of an undergraduate degree.

What have you been doing since completing your studies?

I went on to complete a Master of Arts in English Literature at The University of Sheffield which I loved. Following on from that, I have embarked on a career in publishing and I now work for Boldwood Books marketing their brilliant fiction – I love it. The love of books I carried with me throughout my time at York St. John and the people I met definitely helped me pursue a career I love.

What one piece of advice would you give to a current student, or one about to graduate?

1. Make the most of every moment and every opportunity given to you (even if it means going way out of your comfort zone). You’ll be so glad you did it later on down the line.

2. Have fun! Find the balance between studying and socialising – both are so important.

Last year Jenna spoke to the Alumni team and the Publishing department about life after graduation. Watch Jenna’s webinar here:

Next Post

Previous Post