Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Welcome Back to Education Scholar

Katy Henry

Year Group: Final Year

Degree: Law

Scholarship: Welcome Back to Education

Why did you apply for the Alumni-funded scholarship?

I applied for an alumni-funded scholarship for financial assistance due to difficulties I was facing after my first year of study.

I am a single parent with a young daughter and no financial help from my family. This had a huge effect on my mental health during my first year of university as I was struggling to pay bills and feed us both on just my student loan. We also commute to York every day which further added to the difficulties I was facing. I unfortunately cannot work during term time only school holidays as I do not have any other childcare than that of holiday clubs and wrap-around school care.

How did the scholarship help you?

By the end of my first year, I was honestly contemplating not returning to university as I did not feel it was fair for my daughter to suffer. So, when I found out I had been accepted for the scholarship I was over the moon.

I am a mature Law student and hope to carry on to qualify as a Family Law solicitor when I leave university after I complete the LPC. The scholarship has helped me and my daughter so much, as I have been able to break it down over the course of the year for any large expenditures I have to make. Leaving my student loan to pay for the day-to-day things.

What would you like to say to those who supported your scholarship?

I would like to take this chance to thank the Alumni for donating to this fund and allowing students like me the opportunity to further educate myself and go on to a rewarding career. The scholarship has taken the pressure away for me to be able to achieve the grades I deserve. I completed my second year with a high 2:1 and was entered on to the Honour Role for finishing within the top 10% of my year and the Contributory Role for my work in the law clinic and helping others.

Next Post

Previous Post