Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Syed Kamal Raza Naqvi – Digital Marketing Strategist

MA Global Marketing

Class of 2015

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

No

JOB

Digital Marketing Strategist – Trend Up 1st

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

I had a great time with these two fellows Usman and Ab bas. We use to spend most of the time at library specially when the exams use to held. We had spent even full nights at library. In deed it was a good time at YSJ with these folks.

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

The last presentation which I had to present to Kieth was the most memorable memory as it was the last step of our degree program and Kieth was the toughest instructor we had. Getting a very positive feedback from him was a huge complement for me.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

I chose YSJ because of it beautiful atmosphere, all positive reviews and great student culture at the university. As I heard from the Alumni body I had the similar or even better experience at YSJ. York is a very beautiful city and so the university.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

It took me 9 years to reach here.

2015 right after my Masters in Global Marketing from York St. John University, I started my professional career from Ovex Technologies Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. My salary was PKR 35k and a desk full of dreams. Digital marketing was the new frontier, and I was a wide-eyed explorer. Motivational stories fueled my nights, learning fueled my days. Every email campaign, website content update, SEO trick, PPC tweak tend to be a victory flag planted on my digital Everest.

I kept working on a normal pace and then came 2020. It was my 3rd year at Pakistan Telecommunications PTCL. In March 2020 COVID hit the whole world. The world had a lock down of few months and so it shifted towards digital mediums. That was the time things got changed. The real journey started. I got many opportunities to work in different domains and industries. Telco, Tech, SaaS, EdTech, Customer Support, Real Estate, Hospitality, Travel, and the list goes on. Managed the campaign budget from as low as $1000 till $70,000 per month. I would say after COVID the world realized the potential of Digital Marketing in Digital world.

Then came 2023. This time the robots took over. AI was the buzzword, and fear whispered “Run, rookie!” But my heart roared back, “Climb!” So I dove into algorithms, emerged ready to surf the AI wave along digital marketing.

It wasn’t easy. I stumbled, I learned, I grew. Throughout my career my mentors, friends and colleagues held my hand, celebrated my wins. Slowly, the view from the top got clearer, breathtaking even.

That PKR 35k? A distant memory now, replaced by 15x.

But it’s not just the numbers. It’s the joy of seeing my skills matter, the fire in my belly still burning bright. This ain’t the summit, though. The digital world’s my playground, and I’m just warming up.

To the dreamers, the hustlers, the wild hearts who chase passion with grit – let’s keep pushing, keep learning, keep reaching for the next flag on Everest. Because with a big heart and a relentless spirit, anything is possible.

P.S. To those who believed in me, you built my wings. This one’s for you!

My parents, my wife, my colleagues and mentors.

9 years of my career and counting. Not going slow 🏆🏆🏆

Thank you YSJ for splendid time I spent there as a student.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Once you are at YSJ firstly focus on studies. When it is the time to party YSJ will give you full opportunity to enjoy with your peers and friends. It will be a memorable time so don’t miss that golden time of your life. Work hard and party harder.

Next Post

Previous Post