Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Marc Baty – Customer Service Officer

Class of 2019

Business Management

If you studied your undergraduate programme at York St John University or founder colleges, did you go on to postgraduate study?

IF YOU STUDIED YOUR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMME AT YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES, DID YOU GO ON TO POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

Yes, at York St John University.

WHY HAVE YOU CHOSEN THIS PHOTO AS YOUR YSJ SNAPSHOT?

This was one of the last photos I had taken at YSJ. I had just finished my dissertation and I was about to leave York for home in Durham. I had no idea what was in store for me but without YSJ I probably wouldn’t be where I am today.

WHAT ARE YOUR FONDEST MEMORIES OF YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY?

Many moments I remember with fondness. The closeness of everyone in my friendship circle, the early morning lectures after one too many drinks the night before, living in Percy’s Lane in first year was a highlight and the many many all nighters pulled in Fountains.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE YORK ST JOHN UNIVERSITY OR FOUNDER COLLEGES?

I chose YSJ due to the family feel of the university. I remember looking around on an open day for the first time and instantly getting the feeling for the place. The lecturers I could tell cared about their students and the university felt like a close knit community.

WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE COMPLETING YOUR STUDIES?

I’ve worked in a number of public service roles such as the DWP, HMRC and local authority. Currently I work for my local council assisting residents with money matters. Going forward I’m hoping to continue to utilise my degree to get into higher management positions. Without YSJ I’d never have been in the places I am today.

WHAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO A CURRENT STUDENT, OR ONE ABOUT TO GRADUATE?

Enjoy the time you have, it absolutely flies by so take every minute and every opportunity. Try something new, see the world and study hard and it will pay off. It sounds cliché but trust me it’s true.

Next Post

Previous Post