Alumination

Shining a light on alumni and how you can support our students

Welcome Back to Education Scholar

Andrea

Current year of study: Third year

Degree: PhD Media Studies

Scholarship: Welcome Back to Education

WHY DID YOU APPLY FOR THIS DONOR-FUNDED SCHOLARSHIP?

I came to my PhD with a clear plan, it would be challenging but realistic and workable. Sadly, like with all good plans, life threw a few additional challenges my way. Just after completing my first year, my Mother started displaying signs of dementia and required immediate and additional support. Due to the aftermath of covid it took longer than it should to get the required support systems in place. More recently, my Father was diagnosed with an untreatable brain tumour and also required significant additional home and end-of-life support, of which I took lead responsibility.

HOW DID THE SCHOLARSHIP HELP YOU?

My original plan require multiple adjustments as I had not been able to generate as much income as planned in my second year. This combined with the cost of living, resulted in some serious financial difficulties.

The scholarship came when the money had quite literally run out and I was facing the real prospect of not being able to pay the bills. It enables me to continue with my studies at a time when I wasn’t certain I would be able to.

HOW HAS THE SCHOLARSHIP HELPED SET YOU UP FOR LIFE AFTER YOUR PHD?

I am now in the final stages of my PhD. I have gained the support of my University for HEA Fellowship, which is a big step in fulfilling the requirements of becoming a Lecturer, which is my ultimate career goal.

Next Post