Chantele Hodson

York St John's University

Photography Task

For this task, I chose the theme ‘History of York’. I took 5 images based on 5 different techniques. Including shallow depth of field, reflection, silhouette, frame within a frame and long exposure. My aim was to showcase the city of York through photography. To produce this, I visited places such as the museum gardens, the river and the famous street ‘the shambles’.  

Contextualising Statement 

The photography task included 5 images that was based on 5 techniques from the brief. This was; shallow depth of field, reflection, silhouette, frame within a frame and long exposure. This was based on my theme, history of York. Harcup said, “Over the past decade or so, the availability of photographs and videos shot by non-journalists has transformed the ways in which some events are reported, with the digital communication meaning that material can be transmitted around the world within minutes, even seconds”. (Harcup, 2015:178) 

For this task, I felt it was important that to get the best images, I stayed local to what I know. It was an individual task but to help with equipment, I worked in a pair. This ensured I got as many photos as possible and to the best quality, in the time frame we had. Regarding health and safety, our main risk was filming in public. On our risk assessment I stated that we must always be polite to the public but if we feel a difficult situation is arising then we will stop taking photos.  

Doing the long exposure shot, I experienced a few issues. With it being too bright, I didn’t achieve the best quality image. However, I tried to resolve this the best I could using a slow shutter speed and the smallest aperture. Alternatively, when creating my shallow depth of field shot, I managed to achieve a great image as I used a wide aperture, creating a sharp focus on my chosen flower.  

References 

Harcup, T. (2015) Journalism principles and practices,3rded. London: Sage 

Appendix

Risk Assessment- Own copy

Next Post

Previous Post